As the UKs largest pawnbrokers, H&T Pawnbrokers have a long history dating back to the late 1800s. Detailed below are dates in H&T’s history that have made it the company what it is today.
Established on 1 July 1897 by Walter Harvey and Charles James Thompson. The first store opened on Vauxhall Bridge Road, London and the first allotment of Harvey & Thompson shares were set out that same year.
Key historical events also affected Harvey & Thompson; All stores were closed on 20 May 1910 for the funeral of King Edward and the breakout of World War One in August 1914 meant all pledging was curtailed and buying suspended.
Charles James Thompson withdrew from the business in September 1914 after falling ill, he sadly passed away the following year.
1916 – Harvey & Thompson declared a dividend of 10% to shareholders as the company continued to grow.
1992 - Harvey & Thompson was acquired by Cash America, the second largest pawnbroking chain in the US. The increased investment allowed Harvey & Thompson to grow from 26 shops to 57.
At the turn of the millennium, Harvey & Thompson had 41 shops in England and Scotland. Annual loan turnover was £40 million, jewellery retail £3 million and cheque cashing £10 million.
2004 – John Nichols led the buyout of H&T with equity backing from Rutland Partners LLP and in 2006, H&T group completed its admission to AIM.
May 2012 – With over 170 shops and 50 GoldBars and employing over 1000 members of staff, H&T Pawnbrokers continues to grow and continues to provide our customers with access to cash in a safe and friendly environment that exceeds their expectations.